The 9 Best self watering Window boxes of 2020
Self watering window boxes offer you an excellent opportunity to continue your passion for gardening regardless of space constraints. But what is a self watering window box and why should you consider getting one for your home?
Well, this window box self watering reservoir is a portable container used planting of plants and flowers. It is quite versatile as it can be used both indoors and outdoors. It can be easily hung on windows and walls and placed on terraces and surfaces.
It provides you with numerous flexible options for gardening that match your overall house design and preference. It consists of two parts: The inner part that holds the plant and the soil and the outer part that holds the water. The two pieces are connected by a wick that pulls water to the roots when needed.
|Product||Sizes||Available colors||Key feature|
|Product 1. Lechuza Balconera Cottage 80 All-in-One Granite||50", 80"||3||🍄 Good design decision|
|Product 2. Bloem LWB1883 Lucca Self Watering Window Box||18"||4|
|Product 3. Window Garden Aquaphoric Herb Garden Tub with Fiber Soil||14" x 4" x 7.25"||2|
|Product 4. Santino self watering Window Box Planter||15.6"||6|
|Product 5. Lechuza 15652 Balconera Stone 50 self watering Planter||50", 80"||3||🍄 Good design decision|
|Product 6. GrowLed self watering Window Box||15.8" x 5.2" x 5.2"||1|
|Product 7. GardenBasix self watering Planter pots with 10 Quarts Coconut soils Discs||7.5" x 20"||3|
|Product 8. DeEFL 2 Packs Large Self Watering Planter||12.6" x 7.68" x 8.86"||1|
|Product 9. T4U Plastic Rectangular self watering Window Box||11" x 5" x 4.5"||1|
The specific design of these watering containers offers unique advantages to the gardener. They act as water reservoirs for the plants regardless of the seasonal weather changes. Using these planters ensures minimal wastage of water that would otherwise be lost through evaporation and underground spillage on an average farm.
Below are nine best self watering window boxes you can consider when looking to start or expand gardening in your home or apartment:
9 Best self watering Window Boxes
Lechuza Balconera Cottage 80 All-in-One Granite
This self watering window box planter is an attractive option for any home. You may wonder how does a self watering window box work. It is a 7 by 32 by 7 watering container that weighs 9.35 pounds.
The following detailed lists of its pros and cons give you a better understanding of the product to help you make an informed purchasing choice.
- The Balconera Cottage 80 comes fitted with a water level indicator that lets you know when it is time to refill the window box self watering reservoir. You can rest easy knowing you will not accidentally forget to water your plants, and you can plan your time away effortlessly [+];
- The planter offers you flexibility as it can be placed on decks and used as floor planters, or you can also hang them on walls or windows by using the retractable Balconera brackets [+].
- The brackets can be fitted at the back of the planter, offering an invisible support system that makes it easier to merge with your indoor or outdoor decor [+];
- It is frost and ultraviolet rays resistant, making it a durable option for your outdoor gardening [+].
- The retractable brackets need to be purchased separately for gardeners looking to hang it along walls or windows, which is an added cost for a product advertised as an all-in-one [-].
Bloem LWB1883 Lucca self watering Window Box
Self watering window planter box. Made of recyclable plastic that comes in different colors, this self watering grow box is also 100 percent UV stable.
It can hold up to 2.5 gallons of water and includes drainage holes for plant aeration.
- The plastic resin is ultraviolet rays stabilized to resist fading, making the product last longer while maintaining its brightness [+];
- It offers a budget-friendly alternative to gardening due to its competitive pricing [+];
- The planter is attractive for planting flowers and plants due to inbuilt drainage holes that match the plant saucer tray [+].
- While this container does offer value for money and is useful for outdoor planting, it may not be ideal for indoor plants since the drainage holes leak, making it hard to keep clean [-];
- It is also not self-hanging, which could prove a limiting factor for gardeners with little or no outdoor spaces [-].
Window Garden Aquaphoric Herb Garden Tub with Fiber Soil
Self watering window sill planter. This aquaphoric herb garden tub is great for a gardener looking for an indoor window box, particularly for herbs and other delicate plants. It is ideal for a window garden as its size and design enable it to fit comfortably on the windowsills and countertops.
This window box also comes with an added perk of ready to use soil rich in fiber. The following lists of its strong and weak attributes offer insight into the products.
- This planter works best indoors, especially in apartments that may lack a balcony or a yard. It provides gardeners with an opportunity to take care of their plants regardless of the size of their spaces [+];
- It makes for a beautiful window garden that nurtures plants and adds value to your home’s general aesthetics [+];
- It is ideal for keeping herbs fresh since the soil is carefully picked for this particular purpose [+];
- This planter is also quite ideal for growing your herbs in harsh winter months as your plants can stay protected indoors [+];
- It makes for a perfect gardening gift as it looks great and can motivate even beginner gardeners to enjoy the craft [+];
- This planter also comes packaged with clear instructions that are easy to follow and use [+].
- While ideal for an indoor garden, it may not do so well outdoors where the weather conditions might too harsh for the delicate herbs [-].
Santino self watering Window Box Planter
Window box self watering reservoir. This low maintenance planter is particularly suited for people running on tight schedules. It is made from durable plastic that can be used for years, offering gardeners long-lasting service.
The planter consists of a more extensive inbuilt water reservoir with a self watering system containing two drainage cartridges that perfectly adjust moisture for up to four weeks. These are the strong and some weak characteristics that you will encounter when using this grow box:
- Its small size gives you the flexibility to place it on window sills indoors and porch rails [+];
- It is also made of durable ultraviolet rays stable plastic meant to last for a long time [+];
- The box is also made up of a clear view window for easy monitoring of the water levels [+].
- While this self watering box is an ideal planter for herbs and other smaller house plants, its small size could also be its undoing as limits your choice of plants [-];
- If used outdoors, this planter can quickly get your plants soaked during heavy rainfall due to its small size and is recommended for indoor gardening only [-].
Lechuza 15652 Balconera Stone 50 self watering Planter
It measures 20 by 7 by 7 inches and is fitted with a self watering system ideal for indoor and outdoor gardening. The Balconera planter has a great way of bringing your balcony and patio to life and offers you the flexibility of using it both as a floor planter and a hanging on your walls and patios.
For wall hanging, you can buy a separate set of Balconera brackets to offer it support. Find below these highlighted pros and cons for this Balconera planter to help you make your gardening choice.
- This self watering grow box is made of high-quality graphite that offers a durable alternative for your indoor and outdoor gardening [+];
- Fitted with this planter is Lechuza’s specially formulated plant substrates, a component that separates your potting soil from the water reservoir while aerating the roots and providing your plants with extra nutrition [+];
- When used as an outdoor planter, the Balconera 50 is fitted with a drainage plug to remove excess water. This design is particularly useful as it eliminates the risk of the roots of your plants rotting from excess water [+];
- Additionally, this planter comes with a water level indicator that makes it easy to monitor your plants’ water consumption and help you plan your routine [+].
- This self watering box is an expensive product and might be a discouraging quality for gardeners on a budget. However, if you are capable of overlooking the price, its high quality promises to give you value in the long run [-].
GrowLed self watering Window Box
This modern indoor decorative planter is an ideal self watering box for your indoor herbs, succulents, and flowers. This watering box is easily portable, beautiful, and can be fitted with an LED lamp for that beautiful aesthetic. Its benefits and weaknesses are highlighted below:
- Since it’s an ideal choice for indoor gardening, this planter is what you need to grow your fresh plants and herbs all year round without worrying about harsh outdoor weather changes [+];
- Its stylish design makes it easy to decorate your kitchen window sill or add to your general apartment’s landscape [+];
- It is an excellent choice for a gardening gift. It is easy to assemble water levels and adds a healthy input to friends and family looking to grow their vegetables at home hassle-free [+];
- It is also sleek, slender, and portable, making it an excellent alternative for indoor gardening and decor [+].
- Although this planter makes an excellent addition to your home’s decor, you need to buy the LED lamp separately, which might be an extra cost overall [-];
- It is only available for indoor gardening and might work for gardeners looking to expand their cultivation outdoors [-].
GardenBasix self watering Planter pots with 10 Quarts Coconut soils Discs
This window box comes with a self watering water reservoir that reducing the need for watering of plants from days to weeks apart. It is also easy to observe and monitor your plant’s water intake using the water level indicator. Below are its significant perks:
- This planter comes with ten soil discs made of coconut fiber that can maintain moisture and nutrients. This soil is also very well aerated protecting your plants from rotting of roots or plant failure [+];
- It can be easily used as both an indoor and outdoor planter that provides you with an option to purchase a set of detachable brackets that can aid in hanging your plant on porch rails and window sills [+];
- It offers you many alternatives as it can be used as both an indoor and outdoor gardening. It fits well on decks and desktops and can also be hung along walls and window sills [+].
- The planter only comes with coconut soil containing few nutrients. You need to purchase fertilizers separately, which might be an added cost [-];
- You also need to buy retractable hanging brackets separately, which raises the overall cost of this watering box [-].
DeEFL 2 Packs Large self watering Planter
This planter is made up of environmentally friendly plastic composed of two large rectangular containers. The inner plastic container is available in black and used to hold the plants while the outer white plastic holds the water and acts as a reservoir.
Its large holding capacity makes it uniquely placed for a kitchen garden as you can plant as many vegetables in it as you want. Here are some of its strong and weak attributes:
- This two-pack planter is made up of lightweight, environmentally safe plastic for more extended lasting performance guaranteed to give you your value for money long term [+];
- Its unique two-part design helps to keep insects away from your water reservoir and maintain and hence help maintain a clean environment for your plants [+];
- It is fitted with a drainage plug that you can remove to drain out stagnant water protecting your plants from rotting [+];
- It also has a clear and visible waterline for monitoring water intake and which is guides to decide on when to water the plants [+].
- This planter is an excellent option if you are looking to keep a big kitchen garden. However, this size could be a limiting factor since the window box my not be easily suspended on fragile porch rails due to its size and weight [-].
T4U Plastic Rectangular self watering Window Box
This window watering box is a set of two modern rectangular shaped decorative planters for all your house plants, flowers, and herbs. It is a plant favorite because its unique passive hydroponic action creates the ideal balance of oxygen and water for the plants as roots can easily breathe and sprawl easily without obstruction.
Find below the planters pros and cons:
- This self watering window box is low-maintenance and ideal for first-time gardeners, frequent travelers, and plants growing in harsh conditions [+];
- Its beautiful design makes it an excellent decorative plant as it can be placed anywhere in your house and still add an aesthetic touch [+];
- Its low-maintenance attribute makes it a great gift item for any plant lover [+].
- Although it is a self watering plant container, it lacks a water-level indicator, which might take some observation time to monitor your plants’ water intake. However, once you have this figured out, this planter promises to deliver value in the long run [-].
In conclusion, the self watering window boxes highlighted herein offer desirable qualities to help you start and expand your home garden. Before you make a purchase, you will need to consider your available space indoors and outdoors. You also need to keep in mind your budget to decide on which planters offer both quality and value for money.
Depending on your lifestyle and routine, you may consider a watering box that is both low maintenance and well aerated to ensure your plants do not rot while you are on travel. This review offers you an insight into what to expect when you make that purchase for your self watering window box planter.