8 Best self watering Wall Planters to Buy in 2021
Greenery is increasingly becoming an integral aspect of home decor. There are several creative ways in which you can adorn your indoor or outdoor space with plants. One such unique idea that has become a popular trend is a wall of plants.
You can construct a picturesque wall of vegetation or hang individual plants on a variety of vertical surfaces. Trellises, privacy partitions, exterior walls and backyard fences lend themselves very well to this gardening design.
You can use this concept indoors to decorate your living areas or to utilize wall space. It is a decorating idea that adds color to vertical planes and also saves space. Wall planters enable you to construct this motif and self watering wall planters make it easy to maintain.
|Product||Planters in 1 pack?||Sizes||Available colors||Key feature|
|Product 1. Sungmor Self Watering Wall Planter||3||4 different sizes||4|
|Product 2. Pomeat Self Watering Hanging Planters||8||3.8"||1|
|Product 3. DODXIAOBEUL 5 Pack Visible Water Level Wall Mounted Plant Holder||5||4.25"||1||❤️ Amazon choice for "self watering flower pot"|
|Product 4. Vencer 6 Pack Self Watering Hanging Planter Flower Pot||6||6"||2|
|Product 5. ShoppeWatch Self Watering Hanging Planters||7||7"||1|
|Product 6. Glowpear self watering Mini Wall Planter||1||4 different sizes||1|
|Product 7. self watering Vertical Wall Hangers with Pots Included by Worth||36||🔹Custom size||1|
|Product 8. T4U Wall Hanging Planter Pots||2||6", 8.5"||1||💎 3-Year guarantee|
How do self watering wall planters work?
self watering planters were invented to reduce labor and the chances of human error that are involved in plant care. They operate on a simple mechanism based on the physics of fluid dynamics.
The planters keep the soil and plants hydrated at the optimal level and only require occasional refills. These planters employ one of two basic techniques:
- Passive hydroponics is a system where the soil absorbs moisture from a reservoir and maintains an ideal moisture content. A wick emerges from the bottom of the pot containing the soil and stays submerged in a reservoir of water. Through capillary action, the wick absorbs water and transmits it to the roots through the soil;
- Drip irrigation is typically used to water a living wall, which is a vertical arrangement of cascading pots. Drip emitters are located above the topmost row and water it. The excess water drains out through the holes at the bottom of this row and trickles down to the row below, and so on.
With one of these two methods, self watering wall planters can partially automate the irrigation process for your hanging plants.
A few self watering wall planters have distinguished themselves as best buys due to their design and efficiency. Their pros, cons and key features are discussed below. Click on each title for more information about the product.
Best self watering wall planters in 2021
Sungmor self watering Wall Planter
self watering wall garden. It has a pair of nesting pots in a two-toned color scheme. A white outer reservoir pot holds water. An inner black liner pot holds the plant and is visible at the rim for a stylish effect.
The key feature of this planter is that it is available in three sizes, allowing you to experiment with different mix-and-match combinations for charming wall decor.
- A cotton wick absorbs water from the reservoir and hydrates the soil. It absorbs only enough water to reach a saturation point and ensures a balanced water content in the soil [+];
- The pot is rounded in front and flat at the back, enabling it to fit snugly against a straight vertical surface [+];
- A hanging hole drilled into a small outcropping at the back allows you to hang the pot from a nail or suspend it with an S-shaped hook from a railing or a suction cup [+];
- Its watertight design guarantees that it will not leak and damage the wall against which it rests [+];
- The plastic material is resistant to heat and cold, making it suitable for outdoor use in extreme temperatures [+];
- The plastic is toxin-free and will not leach harmful chemicals into the soil and plants [+];
- Its flat bottom without any holes makes it a good choice to rest on a ledge or mantel too [+].
- In the absence of a water-level indicator, it is necessary to lift out the liner pot to check the water in the reservoir and refill it if needed. This can be a cumbersome task for plants that are located at a height and if there are several plants in your collection [-];
- The liner pots can be smaller than expected and may not accommodate larger plants. They are a little shallow because they need to sit high above the water level in the narrow reservoir part. This makes them unsuitable for plants with deep root systems [-];
- The plastic can be flimsy and break under stress [-].
Pomeat self watering Hanging Planters
Vertical garden watering system. Two nesting pots in a black-and-white color scheme provide a neutral palette for a variety of colorful plants.
The key feature of this planter is that it comes in a pack of seven planters of the same size and the set is available at an economical price.
- A straight back allows it to fit against a flat surface [+];
- An unobtrusive round extension contains a hole through which it can be suspended from several types of studs [+];
- It comes with an S-shaped hook for each pot. The hook makes it possible for it to be hung from a rung or railing [+];
- A simple wicking mechanism draws water from the reservoir to moisten the soil [+].
- The only way to check the water level in the reservoir and replenish it is by lifting the liner pot out of the outer shell [-];
- The glossy coating of the pot is susceptible to scratching and scuffing [-];
- The plastic is flimsy and may not be able to withstand too much stress or wear [-];
- Extraneous pieces of plastic adhere to the pot and the slats in the liner pot, making it necessary for the customer to trim them with a crafting knife [-].
DODXIAOBEUL 5 Pack Visible Water Level Wall Mounted Plant Holder
Wall planter self watering. These small pots are perfect for herbs, cacti and succulents. Their small size can accommodate a single cactus or succulent for an aesthetically pleasing quality.
The key feature of this planter is the clear window near the bottom of the pot, which enables you to check the water level.
- The rim of the liner is raised. This ergonomic design helps you to lift out the liner pot with ease when it is time to refill the reservoir [+];
- It is made of a toxin-free biodegradable material, which keeps your plants safe [+];
- It is available in a few basic colors, which give you a chance to use your creativity while designing your wall of plants [+];
- S-hooks and cut string are included in the purchase and can be used to hang the pots [+];
- These pots are light enough and small enough to be suspended from thumbtacks, cork boards and other media that cannot hold heavier pots [+].
- The liner pot has to be lifted out every time you want to refill the reservoir [-];
- The liner pots are flimsy and break easily [-];
- The outer pots are not made from a scratch-resistant material [-].
Vencer 6 Pack self watering Hanging Planter Flower Pot
Watering vertical garden. A cotton wick absorbs moisture from the reservoir and excess water drains out of the holes at the bottom of the inner liner pot. This keeps balances the moisture content in the soil.
The key feature of this pot is that it can hold water in its reservoir for up to four weeks.
- Its relatively larger size can accommodate plants with larger or deeper root systems [+];
- The raised rim of the liner pot makes it easy to lift it out of the outer shell to check the water level in the reservoir [+];
- There is no gap between the liner pot and the reservoir and this prevents dust from accumulating and insects from laying eggs in the reservoir water [+];
- Several long vertical slats are cut into the inner pot to keep the soil aerated and free of fungus and mold growth [+].
- There is no water-level indicator, making it necessary to lift out the liner pot to check the reservoir water content [-];
- The liner pot also needs to be lifted out to refill the reservoir [-];
- The plastic is not very durable [-].
ShoppeWatch self watering Hanging Planters
- A large number of holes are drilled into the bottom of the liner pot so that excess water can drain out and the soil will not be waterlogged [+];
- A space of around half an inch allows the reservoir to hold water for up to a week [+];
- It comes in two convenient sizes for your small and large plants [+];
- It is constructed from lightweight PP resin plastic material, which is toxin-free [+].
- There is no water-level indicator or refill inlet. So the liner pot has to be lifted to check the water level or clean and refill the reservoir [-];
- The wicking mechanism comes with the drawback of wicks that can get clogged occasionally and will need to be replaced. Also, you may not be aware of the clog until your plants start to wilt [-].
Glowpear self watering Mini Wall Planter
The planter comes in four designs with either brackets or stands. It can be mounted on a wall, suspended on a railing, placed on a flat surface, or rested on the ground.
Several of them can be interconnected through plugs or holes on the sides, to create a wall of plants. The holes will also allow the multiple tubs to be uniformly watered from a single source, creating an expanded plant bed with an integrated irrigation system.
The key features of this planter are its unique rectangular form and the four functional designs in which it is available.
- Sturdy metal brackets drilled into the wall will help you mount the planters [+];
- Overflow from higher planters will flow down to the lower ones [+];
- A watering inlet at the top of the planter fills the reservoir [+];
- An unobtrusive water-level indicator keeps you informed of the water level in the reservoir [+];
- It is ideal for growing rows of larger plants and vegetables like tomatoes [+].
- The soil directly absorbs water from the reservoir, so there is no regulating mechanism to keep the moisture content balanced, except for the drainage of excess water. This system works well for plants that thrive in moist soil but may damage plants that require less moisture or intermittent dry spells [-];
- It requires assembly and that can be a laborious process [-];
- It is fixed with brackets that are drilled into the wall. This makes it difficult to move it around to change the decor or arrangement [-];
- The overflow trays are not always a snug fit and keep falling off, which can create a mess in your living space especially on a porch, patio or indoors [-].
self watering Vertical Wall Hangers with Pots Included by Worth
The pots come in sets of three pockets that are attached to each other. They can be suspended from the hangers in a few different configurations to construct an appealing wall of plants.
It uses the drip irrigation method, where taps or emitters water the top row and the water trickles down through holes at the boom of the pots into the rows below.
The key feature of this set of pots is that it comes with three attached pockets and a series of these can be used to fashion a wall of plants.
- This cascading system of irrigation helps automate the irrigation scheme of the vertical garden [+];
- They are lightweight and can be affixed with regular screws, making installation relatively easy [+];
- The arrangement is visually appealing and can create a very pleasing decorative aspect in your balcony or patio [+].
- The watering system is not exactly foolproof. Since it relies entirely on the cascading overflow, it can leave parts of the arrangement dry or insufficiently hydrated [-].
T4U Wall Hanging Planter Pots
It is available in earthy shades of red and green that lend themselves very well to the fluted design and give it an overall clay-like appearance.
The key feature of this planter is the clay-like finish of its plastic surface.
- The reservoir is a detachable tray at the bottom. This makes it easy to check the water level and replenish it [+];
- The tray fits seamlessly into the pot and does not detract from the aesthetic [+];
- It comes in a choice of two sizes [+].
- Without a water-level indicator, the tray has to be detached to checked intermittently [-];
- Reattaching the filled tray can cause some splashing and spillage on the wall behind or the floor below [-].
A buyer’s guide
- Choose smaller plastic pots to hang on cork boards or studs that are not very sturdy;
- When you have numerous plants or plants that may be hard to reach, buy pots with water level indicators and refill inlets at the top to make the refill process less labor-intensive;
- self watering indoor wall planters should be of sturdy construction so that they are leak-proof and should be aesthetic in appearance so that they blend into the interior decor;
- For plants that will be located a little too high, a planter with a detachable tray will help you drain and refill pots easily;
- For a living wall, use the cascading pockets rather than individual pots and use the drip irrigation method;
- For vegetable beds, choose the large square interconnecting tubs. Choose the mounted models for lighter plants and the ones with legs to grow heavier plants.
self watering wall hanging planters are not only decorative but also functional. They help you save space and keep plants out of the way of children and pets. They can be used to build a herb, vegetable or floral wall garden.
Plant a vine in one of them and train it down a trellis. Or create a verdant living wall on the privacy partition of your patio. Whichever idea you would like to implement, these planters will literally and figuratively elevate your garden to a higher plane.